1. There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty, that makes human nature rise above itself, in acts of bravery and heroism.
2. The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.
3. True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
4. It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
5. Brave men rejoice in adversity, just as brave soldiers triumph in war.